Tel: (248) 281-6299

Are You Being Sued in Federal Court In Michigan?

Experienced Civil Litigation Attorneys Serving the Detroit Area

We will fight and represent each client vigorously with care and attention to detail. We practice in all Michigan State and United States Federal Courts For Eastern District of Michigan. If you are looking for civil federal lawyers, you have come to the right place. Call us today for a free consultation.

The 7th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees you the right to sue someone for loss or damages they have caused you.  This is called a civil law suit.  In a civil suit, the person bringing the case against another party is called the plaintiff.  The party the plaintiff is suing is called the defendant.  Though you have the right to sue someone in federal court, not every civil law suit is a federal case.  

Do You Have A Federal Case? 
Seasoned Federal Civil Litigation Lawyers Serving Clients Throughout Michigan
Federal court jurisdiction in Michigan is limited to certain types of cases listed in the U.S. Constitution. For the most part, federal court jurisdictions only hear cases in which the United States is a party, cases involving violations of the Constitution or federal law, crimes on federal land, and bankruptcy cases. Federal courts also hear cases based on state law that involve parties from different states. While federal courts handle fewer cases than most state courts, the cases heard tend to be of great importance and of great interest to the press and the public.

Our firm is known for successfully handling an eclectic mix of cases, but areas of particular focus for civil litigation include:

Anything in federal court.
Business Litigation
Health Care Litigation
Privacy & Hacking Litigation
Employment Litigation
Sexual harassment cases
Employment discrimination in hiring, firing and benefits
Wrongful death
Police liability claims, including:
Excessive use of force
Unlawful imprisonment
False arrest
False imprisonment
Malicious prosecution
Improper training and supervision
Sexual Harassment
Workers' Compensation

If you file a federal tort claim or lawsuit against the federal government, it makes sense to have a seasoned attorney on your side who has knowledge of the complicated process and the Federal Tort Claim Act (FTCA)​

Contact Us Online 


Are You Looking to File a Lawsuit in Federal Court ?

The federal courts only deal with civil cases that either:

A) involve a question of federal law, or

B) involve parties with “diversity of citizenship.”  This means that the parties are from two different states.  In order for this type of civil case to be under the jurisdiction of the federal court, the dollar amount of the loss must exceed $75,000.

You should always consult an attorney before you file suit against anyone no matter how much money is at stake. Before filing a lawsuit there several things you need to consider, such as:

What jurisdiction you should file in, i.e. federal or state court. The procedures followed in federal courts are different from those followed in state courts and those differences may affect your chances of winning depending on the type of claim that you have. 

Tel: (248) 281-6299

Getting Help

If you have further questions about filing your claim or lawsuit in federal court, talk to our federal civil lawyers today. Depending on the type of claim you have, federal court may be your only option. However, you may also be able to choose where to file your claim in state court, in which case our attorneys  will be able to discuss both the benefits and drawbacks to filing your claim in state or federal court.